• Welcome to SPN.club! Before you start posting, please be aware that this is a "No bullshit" board - meaning, we have a no tolerance policy for treating other members or their opinions with disrespect. If you can't accept other viewpoints, please go elsewhere: what is tolerated on other Supernatural sites does not fly here.

    We are an invitation-only board, which means you will only be able to register if a current member has given you an invite link.

The OA - Spoiler free

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
So need to start something new, know that @SwanSong enjoys this one, so if she posts spoilers in my thread I will send a creepy clown through the crack in the wall. (A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend)

Episode 1:

Why is this episode so long, and why did I think 9pm is a good time to start a new show?
So blondie jumped off the bridge
Youtube, guessing they made money out of this show
Able? The Dad's name is Able, like Cain and Able?
Prairie?
She was blind but now can see?
She walked from nowhere? No wonder her feet were awful
We all died?
Midnight walk, yep that sounds real safe!
Ah of course, there had to be a random sex scene, and naked guy needs to shut the curtains and lock doors!
Dog attack, or attack the dog, poor dog!
She's adopted? Okay interesting
Miles to go? Or get a punch in the throat
She has internet and conditions, as you do!
Love the bike riding though
Parent?? Step mother???
Dimensions?
Need an open door, like a vampire invite!
Yay the teacher is there!
Okay I'm an hour in and now there's a title card bit!
Little cabbage, what a lovely term of endearment!
And she goes over the bridge again
so she died, and the term of her coming back was her blindness? Who's the weird lady?

End of the ep, it's kinda odd, but I'll see where it goes, but not tonight, it's bedtime for me!
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
You've made my day!!!! :D
Creepy clowns are a valid threat. I'll behave ;)

Unravelling the story is the fun. Season 1 is just brilliant. It is intense. Let yourself be caught up in it, and enjoy the ride. That real storyteller vibe is fantastic. And kinda odd lol.

For me, it came at a time that I was at one of those thresholds she mentions. I was obviously the target audience and that's probably why it touched me so deeply. I hope you like it, my hype will never die.


Ah of course, there had to be a random sex scene

This was one of the most annoying scenes. So blatantly netflixy. It's really easy to tell where Netflix wanted bits like that. It was so unnecessary and may have served to put some early fans off (or on the other hand, attracted the teenage boys who could have learned something)

Parent?? Step mother??

That scene with Steve taking her to the shop, then the scene with the teacher (BBA) really sealed the connection to this strange blonde. She's insightful but with a youthful neivity. She says something like "it's not a measure of health to be well adjusted to a sick society". I had heard that in other ways before, but it hit home when she said it. While the fake nail was falling off lol.


Okay I'm an hour in and now there's a title card bit!

That song tho! Oh my heart. It's where she begins. I have played it back on the keyboard but now wondering which notes they were... maybe not *everything* is a clue though haha.


And she goes over the bridge again
so she died, and the term of her coming back was her blindness? Who's the weird lady?

Pretty much, yeah. The weird lady didn't want her to see the horrors to come, and serves as a true witness when her sight is restored :)
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
Episode 2

Snakes- that seems like a fun class
It's a very fancy boarding school
Yeah I would be sad to leave it too
Dodgy adoption ring
Still think Pairie is an awful name
Don't like this plan of medicating her
She's climbing over a head?
Crown of candles, like St Lucy's festival, wonder if that's celebrated in Russia?
And it's New York, the Statue of Liberty
Morning has broken
Nancy seems kinda controlling, she's not a kid
Is he the guardian of those kids?
bees? No CPR
They're researching her?
The drug taking might be a character flaw!
Jason Isaacs! He does creepy so well, so I don't think she wants to meet him
Near death experiences
Ewww oysters
A heart beat reader
Did he not have a heart beat, or was it just quiet?
Up, up and away!
At least she tried to call home
That does not look good
And that's a lot of steps down
Cages?
She's locked in, told you is wasn't wise to go with Jason Isaacs
Who is talking???
Homer? The boyfriend?
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
Crown of candles, like St Lucy's festival, wonder if that's celebrated in Russia?

Oooh I never realised the candles were a crown, I thought it was a weird melted birthday cake haha. What is St Lucy's festival? Can you tell me more?

And you're right earlier on the adoptive fathers name is Able. The actor died not long after the second season :( He was really great, heartbreakingly.

The drug taking might be a character flaw!

HAHAHA!

She's locked in, told you is wasn't wise to go with Jason Isaacs

And that was the moment Prairie realised that was a mistake. Nancy's over-protectiveness did not serve Prairie well.

*runs home* *bawls*
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
Oooh I never realised the candles were a crown, I thought it was a weird melted birthday cake haha. What is St Lucy's festival? Can you tell me more?
Might well be cake, but the Statue of Liberty has a crown, so makes sense to me.
St Lucy's is just before Christmas, a festival of light, mostly celebrated in Sweden I think, and you have a girl that wear a crown of candles. That's about as much as I know about it though.

So Homer is the guy we see Pairie looking up, the football guy? He had a near death experience and recovered, but still ended up in a cage.

I think this is going to be one of those shows that you need to watch it once and then rewatch to piece to together easier.
 
SwanSong
SwanSong
Thanks for the info!

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
Might well be cake, but the Statue of Liberty has a crown, so makes sense to me.

No, you're right, a crown makes much more sense than a melted cake, this is why I am so excited someone else is watching it! Cos then these things can be pointed out to me who missed them :p A girl with a crown of candles -
like a halo
- fits the theme of the story much much better :D

I also don't think I realised that she went over a bridge to "die" twice in the first episode either, maybe I did. The first time I watched it was almost 5 years ago so I dont remember exactly what I picked up, and what I now overlook. A crossing, crossing water like crossing the stream in to her cage.

Yes Homer is the football player.

It is one of those shows where you can go as deep as you want to into it. Its enjoyable on the surface level story but has so much scope to be analysed if the viewer wants to go that road.
 
Last edited:

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
Episode 3

Journalist stalking the mother?
And now she's here for dinner?
Storytelling is cleansing, well good then Prairie is already doing that then!
His story has an end, this is just beginning
He's a window cleaner!
Those food pellets look like poo!
Oh more nakedness!
No drinking water right now, need to shave!
Sunlight makes her crazy! Sniffing bread, there's a knife right there!
She's making sandwiches!
Yeah, no mustard for me either!
He wants to find a way to send money to his child
She has a point though, he doesn't actually know if it's a boy or girl
They're being gassed?
Is she sat in the bathtub?
The family you build
You never change - fight!
Did all of the teachers family die
She drew a box around the drawing!
Alternative school? With the crazies!
She's his maid now?? Guess so!
Sleeping pills?
Jason Isaacs playing an American doing an English accent!
Uh oh, he's making a bowl for her too!
He's allergic, she didn't need to add the sleeping pills!
Dead body in the tub!
She's got the ring back, and a envelope
They're writing a letter to no one?
And they lost it!
Impossible hope
Jump!
Singing the confusion
She pushed him down the stairs!
Frying pan!
oh there's a canyon
Whack!

Yeah given that she's still blind I figured it wasn't going to work, but good for her to try it!
 
Last edited:

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
She's making sandwiches!
Yeah, no mustard for me either!

Scott makes me LOL It needs his sort of balance or gets a bit airy fairy. Similar role to Steve.

Whack!

Yeah given that she's still blind I figured it wasn't going to work, but good for her to try it!

Yeah it wasnt the most brilliant plan, any of it. Shows the desperation and the fast bond but slow movement of time down there.

Away is the next ep :)
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
Youtube, guessing they made money out of this show

There is a LOT of blatant product placement in this show. I am not sure if it is a commentary on the consumerism of current society, or if they did get kickbacks for it. Knowing the kind of productions this team make, my bet is on the former.


Sunday is a good day to watch more of The OA ;)
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
I do still plan on finishing this by the end of the year!
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
Hehe I will believe it when I see it ;) it probably sustains the intensity better when watched a few episodes in a row.

I was thinking about Abel tonight - the one who gave an honest and faithful offering to God, an acceptable sacrifice of one he raised and that being the name of Prairies adoptive father. It is very suited to him and the character.
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
I am getting close to needing a rewatch. Probably when the weather is too hot to play outside again, maybe a couple weeks away.
Feels a bit like I need that feed, to keep that spark sustained. I'd love to know more shows and books the way I know Buffy, inside out and back to front lol. My short term memory is only getting worse so having something solid to think about helps.
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
Well it certainly didn't get finished by the end of the year, but now I'm in lockdown I'll aim for the end of the month!

Episode 4

Can she see?
Is she dreaming or dead?
Okay dead then!
Pretty landscape, not sure she should go in there
Odd
Oh it's the creepy lady again
Never escape?
That's not a fish!
Dove?
Another trade
Is it braille on her face?
She has wings!!
5 people
The Original
Ewwww
Oh so he did capture her then
Hunt down?
Are they the lab rats
Whispering to plants
I can see, but sshhh don't tell Isaacs
I like that they are all bonding
Still leaving the door wide open
Moustache Maureen!
Do you believe in angels
If we are not on her side whose side are we on
Horns!! Noooo I dislike horns
However it is funny that the teacher calls them for help
The brother looks familiar
Some people don't know how to be a family
Walks are good
I don't trust this guy though
It's the weird heartbeat lying machine
very unkind
lots of questions
Why didn't Scott collapse?
She's doing exactly what he says??
Suck your thumb like a baby!!
A year?
Just like zombies in a cage
That's a tight collar
Okay that set up is rather creepy
And he's gassed again
3 years!! Well I suppose she was missing for 7 so makes sense that it took them a while
Is he trying to make them into non human angels??
He wants to die awake?
It had to be a spider!
Into the fish tank, no just eating the fish, ewww
OA
Homer has the shakes!

So creepy, now winged, lady mentioned fishing, and then later Homer eats a fish.
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
This is the ep when I couldn't stop watching once I saw :)

I love the "A way" aspect of the OA, it is all a way of being. Much like spiritual scriptures, The lessons are what is lifechanging. Though it is hard to maintain in the mainstream culture and too hard to live outside of it without a specific network, especially with limited abilities. I think that is why this spoke to so many confined by disability. "To exist is to survive unfair choices".

The show has some particular quotes it is written around, but I'd have to rewatch myself to pick them out exactly. At this stage it is something like - being a prisoner is a state of mind or escaping the prison of mind is tougher than being confined. She puts it into words better but I dont remember them - I guess thats what makes a great storyteller! The viewer can remember the ideas but not have to quote it word for word to share them on.


Pretty landscape, not sure she should go in there

I think they reused this set in Star Trek!

Never escape?

Yes, threat of true death has to be real or the hope of escape keeps us dull and confined. Not actively seeking, searching, working. Purpose is lost in lost hope.

Is it braille on her face?

Good catch! Yes it is :)

Whispering to plants
My kind of guy ;)

I like that they are all bonding
The bond in extraordinary situations is hard to describe, but can be felt. I can relate through many periods of my life. It's a little like being on an intensive course, or camp with people. Your differences do not matter when you all have a similar end goal. The bond can form strongly, and time apart does not change it much. Part of the reason I love shows like Survivor and Im a Celeb, is to watch that bond form between people.

Some people don't know how to be a family
Can ya tell why I liked this bit ;) I adore that little connection between BBA and Jesse. Both were left behind, both accept some blame for what their lost love never knew. Both form that bond of shared experience.

Why didn't Scott collapse?
The girls sucked up all the gas. I guess HAP never saw as he was already on his way down to them.

So creepy, now winged, lady mentioned fishing, and then later Homer eats a fish.

Did you notice the fish tank? Who else in spiritual history has been a fisher of men? It is all a choice - to spit out or swallow the seed (oh dear hahaha.)




It will be 40C here the next few days so I might start watching again tomorrow, if this migraine doesn't knock me out. I will probably finish watching season 1 before you do :p But, much like the bible, if I actually want to take it in (instead of chasing the high) I should slow it down and study it. A bit self indulgent, yes, but its thinking entertainment for me, instead of just mindless consumption. Not that there is anything wrong with easy tv, but I don't get much else in the way of mental challenge lately and I notice the decline.

@Lucifer was spot on the money with the Sophia connection and I am yet to get my head around all that. Its tough to learn without structure. I know that Brit and Zac will continue writing similar themes as most of the movies I have seen with her in, rotate around similar story lines. It defo could have become a cult series had it been allowed to play out, and I mean "cult" literally.
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
Jason Isaacs has praised the originality of The OA.

The actor, who played Dr Hap Percy on the Netflix show before it was cancelled, spoke about the strength of the show in a recent interview with NME.

“I don’t know if I’ll be in anything as original again,” the actor said, reflecting on the fact that The OA would not be returning for a third season.

He added: “Something happened on that show. I felt like I’d never told a story like this before. It’s a magnificent piece of art and storytelling.”

Regarding the show’s cancellation specifically, Isaacs said: “There’s no point me second-guessing how and why they did it. They’ve cancelled lots of things that were very popular. We don’t deserve special treatment.”

The actor also spoke of the experience of meeting fans who thank him for his role on the show and its impact more broadly.

“When people thank me, it feels absurd to me,” Isaacs said. “I don’t do it for anyone else. I do it entirely for myself. It’s an entirely self-serving thing.”




Next up, Jason Isaacs will be starring in season three of Sex Education, playing the role of Peter Groff, Mr Groff’s “more successful/less modest older brother”.

source - - Jason Isaacs doubts he'll star in "anything as original again" after 'The OA'

The fact that a show called Sex Education gets a third season, perfectly sums up the state of netflix o_O lol

OA take me with you!!
 
Death
Death
That's filmed up the road from here!

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
Both seasons start in hospital and both end in an ambulance. I like the premise that these are levels of hell/heaven each better (or worse) than the last. The idea that we are already live in hell is appealing, the only way out from here, is up.
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
Reddit thinks its coming back, again. I am doubtful, but it would be an awesome mind fuck if it was! Considering how season 2 ended. Zal seems to be messing with people with his social media. People are reaching, its amazing how much hope the fans hold for it.

I really liked the story because of its circular nature and everyone knows how I love my circles lol. Honestly miss this show more than any before, I need to know how they intended it to end!!! I hope the creators were doing something over the pandemic. There hasnt been any shows that I connect with at all lately. Lucky its been so nice in the garden, but the more I do, the more there is to do.. I do not need any more plants! I have been sick this week, pretty bad pain, so I might do another rewatch this weekend. Need a few days of recovery, something to use my mind for rather than my body.
 
Last edited:

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
There is a part in season 2 about Curi, that they were looking for a certain kind of dreamer, or something along that line. And then all of the dreamers began to dream the same thing. I think the show was designed for, seeking a certain type of "dreamer"

It really is something special and I hope there is a new project soon.

I really should do react posts while watching one day, it might help me figure some bits out, its infuriating not being able to put all of the pieces together.
 
Top Bottom