• Welcome to SPN.club! Before you start posting, please be aware that this is a "No bullshit" board - meaning, we have a no tolerance policy for treating other members or their opinions with disrespect. If you can't accept other viewpoints, please go elsewhere: what is tolerated on other Supernatural sites does not fly here.

    We are an invitation-only board, which means you will only be able to register if a current member has given you an invite link.

The Bible and mythology

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
They have a great take on the mythology of God.

I didnt know they would ever be game enough to actually feature God, but I do like that they did in a way that seemed unoffensive and in line with their story.

How much crossover is there between the stories of the christian religions and the actual story in Supernatural? Im thinking more here back to season 4/5. The God/Amara story predates "Let there be Light".

There are demons from many religions and we have seen other Gods, did they know of the god that created them?
 

Lucifer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2016
Messages
196
Age
40
Season 4/5 there are some crossover to Revelations, for sure, seven seals and all that. And maybe some pseudoepigraphs/deuterocanon like Jubileés, or The Book of Enoch (not recognized by all denominations), where there's more detail about the angels and the fall of Lucifer.

Since I'm not caught up, (stupid Netflix for not adding more recent season!), I'm not sure about the God/Amara storyline however. From the sound of it I might not enjoy it, but I'll reserve judgement until I've actually caught up :)
 

Bela Talbot

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 9, 2016
Messages
319
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not sure how much overlap there is with the Bible, BUT I do love the way they explore the nature of God. I think that's fabulous, and it makes people think.
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
I'm not sure how much overlap there is with the Bible, BUT I do love the way they explore the nature of God. I think that's fabulous, and it makes people think.

I wondered at the time if they had made God seem too immature, but it wasnt immaturity, so much as more lighthearted? I cant think of the right word, but he was much more carefree than I'd ever imagined God. Its a refreshing change. And challenged my thoughts on what a God-like creature should act like. I want to re-watch the whole character arc one day.

I myself got a bit confused with Luci/Cas, thinking back I can see the character face (misha) but not remember who he was playing. Which distracted me to what god/amara were doing at the time.

How do the gods in the episode Hammer of the Gods, fit in to this God's storyline? Did they fight for turf after he nicked off?

(I havent mentioned his name - Im not sure what counts as a spoiler as I know its a 'catch up' type show)
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
I might reread the Book of Revelations before season 15, be interesting to see if they use any of that next season.
 
SwanSong
SwanSong
Oh man, goodluck haha.

Baby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2016
Messages
59
Age
42
Location
Northern Minnesota
I have been pretty surprised on how accurately they depict the Bible within the storyline with the Fall, angels, and many of the references to the Old Testament Cas and others make.
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
I might reread the Book of Revelations before season 15, be interesting to see if they use any of that next season.

I hope they will use at least something.

I am not sure I am so keen on their multiverse/alternative universes. It sounded cooler when Death spoke about it.
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
Reading Genesis 4:15

"Then the Lord put a mark on Cain to warm anyone who might try to kill him" (NLT)
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
Metatron - is he bible canon or just from the book of Enoch? Why did they make both god and "lesser god" slimey little men? I think it hilarious, and wonder who came up with it to portray them that way. I'd look for more of their work.
 
Top Bottom