• Welcome to SPN.club! Before you start posting, please be aware that this is a "No bullshit" board - meaning, we have a no tolerance policy for treating other members or their opinions with disrespect. If you can't accept other viewpoints, please go elsewhere: what is tolerated on other Supernatural sites does not fly here.

    We are an invitation-only board, which means you will only be able to register if a current member has given you an invite link.

How do you choose TV?

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
I have been watching too much netflix recently. I probably watch way too much tv but I dont think much more than I ever have. It occured to me that I am starting to choose my tv like I choose a book, and who ever writes what the netflix shows are about makes them sound really lame. For ages I just used to watch what was on the telly when it was on, or browse the DVD stores for half an hour carefully choosing what to get. Then when I got netflix, I just watched whatever anyone else told me to watch as a few of my own choices were right duds. When I look for movies I don't choose as carefully because there isn't as big a selection as blockbuster had and again I end up just watching something crap for the sake of watching something.

Which type of show format do you prefer? I am finding I prefer the slightly more in depth shorter series (something that can be done in a week) but need those week to week light ones to balance it out. I tend to love anything that started as a book first (Like Dexter, The 100) even when I havent read the book. When did TV become this complicated to manage? LOL. I think its probably more relevant to me now as I don't go out much at night. Bunnies need their snuggle time. I gotta watch something a bit grungy, down to earth, no more unicorns and fairy floss. It makes me depressed. Some shows are just not meant to be binged. Like sugar I guess! Haha.

For those in the know - which streaming stations cater for which people?
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
I watch very little tv, I do find it hard to decide on something new, so I rarely go with anything! I think I view tv like I viewed fanfic, in that I wouldn't start reading a new story unless it was completed. Or it had to be very very good for me to start it as an unfinished fic.
 

Americana

Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2020
Messages
18
Age
26
I didn’t watch a lot of TV growing up so I like to get through a lot of the shows I used to see in the DVD store like Supernatural, The Walking Dead. I love The 100. I enjoy the more traditional 22 episodes or 13 episodes at least in a season.
I’m stuck on what to watch at the moment :(
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
I wouldn't start reading a new story unless it was completed

Excellent point! TAKE NOTE NETFLIX!!!! Needs to not cancel the shows before they are done. Its supremely frustrating.

Lately I havent been keen to start anything recent because of this. Dont want to get invested in a new show that will never get a real ending. I liked The Order. It had 2 part type episode arcs and that one was gone after two seasons, like the rest of the best. Defo buffy fans on that writing team.

Right now I am watching Leverage cos its all up for free on tenplay. Its ok, light enough, so when I check out, its easy to check back in. I think I must be in the middle age targeted age group now, Ive even been watching the news. I like to know there isnt anything too shocking about to grace the screen. Stylised violence or implied sex is fine, but some "entertainment" recently is just sick.

I have gone back to free to air tv, appointment tv and commited to watch the reality season. Masterchef, Survivor, even big brother, I am ashamed to say. Its just easier to know it will be on every night than try to choose something new to burn through. I know exactly what to expect, there is no gory surprises and there are big social media fandoms/followings so there is always some one to chat at if I feel like it.

Overall my tv watching has decreased massively. Less now than ever before. Partly because it is winter now and cool enough to play in the garden, partly because I'm sick of watching dud shows or being left hanging by those cancelled. I turn on the radio a whole lot more on the weekends too.
 
Top Bottom