• Welcome to SPN.club! Before you start posting, please be aware that this is a "No bullshit" board - meaning, we have a no tolerance policy for treating other members or their opinions with disrespect. If you can't accept other viewpoints, please go elsewhere: what is tolerated on other Supernatural sites does not fly here.

    We are an invitation-only board, which means you will only be able to register if a current member has given you an invite link.

Discussion of 1.04 "Phantom Traveler" - Aired 10/04/05 (WB-US)

Bela Talbot

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 9, 2016
Messages
319
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
The brothers are asked by a man whom Dean and his father had previously rescued to investigate the mysterious crash of a commercial airplane that left only seven survivors, with signs pointing to a demonically-possessed passenger causing the accident. When they realize that the demon is now eliminating the survivors one by one, Dean is forced to face his fear of flying by following its next target (Jaime Ray Newman) aboard an airliner. He and Sam manage to get the demon into the galley on-board, but it flees its host during the exorcism. Despite this, they continue the ritual, sending the demon back to Hell. Afterwards they get a surprise when the man who called them revealed he got their phone number from their father's voicemail. Though John doesn't answer when they call, they get their first indication that he's alive as his phone has been down since his disappearance.

Source: Wikipedia

This episode is okay - not my fav subject matter, but I thought they did a good job creating suspense.
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
I love the Dean has a fear of flying thing, yet he tries to put it aside to solve the case.
 

Bela Talbot

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 9, 2016
Messages
319
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
I honestly thought this episode came later in the show lol - it was kind of gutsy to show him so vulnerable that early lol
 

Shurley

I am the Stapler Queen!
Joined
Feb 14, 2019
Messages
332
Top 3 - Least Favorite Moments
1+-+Black+Eyes.jpg

The demon mythology didn't start off great, both the history and the effects.

45706823_344048182841272_2745144527276048805_n.jpg

The fact that this doesn't show up again until you've practically forgotten all about it.

And because I can't think of another one right now, here's a bonus:
Spn_104_phantom_43-1.jpg


Top 3 - Absolute Favorite Moments

tumblr_lm76m8bpxe1qaz0x0o1_500.gif


supernatural.gif


7+-+Dean+proud.jpg

Dean's so proud of his homemade ghost-detector :D

Rating - 6.5/10
 

Lucifer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2016
Messages
196
Age
40
I actually think the demonology is pretty great, especially when it feels like it kind of foreshadows where the show will go.

Like in this episode Dean says that demons don’t want anything, they just do violence and evil for the sake of itself. Which yellow eyes obviously disproves in this season already, but watching it now made me laugh because all I could think about is ”I can’t wait till you guys start paling around with Crowely”

He also dismisses it when Sam says the plane demon knew about Jess, saying they just read minds. I think it is great to ser how unreflective they we’re at the start. It’s kind of like Buffy, where the mythology starts out much more ”demon bad” and it grows into nuance.

Here it is like they’re just your average hunters and it is only when they learn more about demons, not just how to kill them, that they become great hunters.

I think this episode is fine, even if the plane storyline doesn’t do much for Me.
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
The floating black smoke, definitely gets better as the seasons go on.
Oh and that arm porn gif too!
5:45am, yeah Dean actually talking about getting a good night's sleep, that soon changes!
Those suits kinda look like cheap funeral suits
Love that Dean is already mentioning Bible things, Nazareth, 40 minutes, 40 days etc when later it's Sam that does that.
Interesting that even though Dean does not want to fly, he wont let Sam do it alone
I like the reference to Jess, hinting at a bigger thing going on.
 
Top Bottom