• Welcome to SPN.club! Before you start posting, please be aware that this is a "No bullshit" board - meaning, we have a no tolerance policy for treating other members or their opinions with disrespect. If you can't accept other viewpoints, please go elsewhere: what is tolerated on other Supernatural sites does not fly here.

    We are an invitation-only board, which means you will only be able to register if a current member has given you an invite link.

Discussion of 1.03 "Dead in the Water" - Aired 9/27/05 (WB-US)

Bela Talbot

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 9, 2016
Messages
319
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Taking a break from the search for their father, Sam and Dean head to Lake Manitoc in Wisconsin for a possible case. Three drownings have occurred there within a year, with the dead bodies mysteriously disappearing in the lake. The brothers soon come to believe that an avenging spirit of a young boy haunts the lake, and learn that the local sheriff (Daniel Hugh Kelly) and the father of the latest victim accidentally caused his death when they were children. Out for revenge, the spirit targets the sheriff's daughter Andrea (Amy Acker) and mute grandson Lucas (Nico McEown). It eventually pulls Lucas into the lake, so the sheriff gives himself over to the spirit, saving his grandson.

Source: Wikipedia

They really did a good job in these episodes of having recognizable guest actors, like Amy Acker here. I liked that she was smart and saw through Dean's bs lol. I also liked the revenge story that had to be worked out, and the parallel between the little boy Lucas and Dean.
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
This is one of my season 1 favourites, we see the guys really start to interact with the people they are trying to help, especially Dean and Lucas. The actor playing Lucas did a great job and I think that this couldn't have been an easy ep to film.
 

Lucifer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2016
Messages
196
Age
40
I really enjoy this episode, I think it has a good slow-creepy kind of feel to it. I was trying to get my brother to watch the show with me though and he thought it was slow and dull... hmpf. Kids today, eh? ;)
 

Shurley

I am the Stapler Queen!
Joined
Feb 14, 2019
Messages
332
Top 3 - Least Favorite Moments
spn_01x03Acker_Bathtub.jpg

(ignore the green circle) I have to reach a bit to find bad stuff, so I'll go with Dean kicking the door down and then stepping back so Sam could run in and save Andrea...weird...

3f8b8bddae559fe0a896d43207cfae9d.jpg

Occasionally Supernatural does really bad coincidences = the cop they speak to about the case is the killer, and his daughter is connected and the reason they figure out the truth, along with his grandson, Lucas. I mean, do they even interact with anyone that isn't related to the sheriff?

tumblr_n5hb9uF8UO1qlu8two1_500.gif

I'm reaching here, but again Sam's lack of empathy seems off, though not as much as last episode.

Top 3 - Absolute Favorite Moments

tumblr_p6qf14nO8u1tiiumto1_500.gif

Dean's connection with Lucas and how it makes him open up about his own feelings about his mother.

tumblr_n8dga8SkS41tskyv2o2_500.gif

THIS is the exact scene that made me keep watching, I was sooo close to giving up when this episode first began. Specifically, it was Dean and Sam's conversation right after Andrea leaves. Laughed so hard I had to rewind cause I missed the next scene.

687474703a2f2f6935382e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f673234362f7365793131352f312d335f7a707335393534326534382e676966

The way this is filmed, I just love it.

Rating - 7.5/10
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
Forgot that like in early Buffy they said previously on, instead of the just Then and Now title cards
How lovely it would be to live by a lake and go swimming outside.
Oh this is where that pen gif comes from
Why would she leave the child at the police station instead of a proper sitting or childcare service
Dean may not be an artist but the kid can draw!
I do love this episode, the interaction between Dean and Lucas
The follow up between Sam and Dean in the car about it.
It makes sense to me that Dean would go to the child while Sam rescued Andrea, Dean has shown throughout the episode that he's connected with Lucas.
 
Top Bottom